Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Might Not Be My Mother's Shampoo, But She Still Likes It

If you happened to see my latest ULTA Haul post, you know that I purchased Not Your Mother's Beach Babe shampoo and conditioner. According to the packages, they promise "Wavy Volume" and "Tousled Waves," along with hydration and gentle cleansing. I've been using it for about two weeks now, whenever I wash my hair.


What struck me first was the strong coconut scent. This smell will stay with you for days, so be sure you like it before you buy it. All of a sudden, I'll toss my hair back and I'll get a whiff, even though I washed my hair two days before. I'm not much of a coconut fan, but this smell reminds me of suntan lotion and summer afternoons, so I actually really enjoy this particular scent.

It's a rich formula, but usually for me sulfate free shampoo does not lather well on the first round, and this is no exception. I know that the sulfates are what make the lather but can be bad for hair, but my hair is so thick that if the shampoo doesn't lather, it doesn't get distributed throughout. It kind of just sits there, like someone broke an egg on the top of my head. And so it goes with this shampoo, until I rinse and repeat and then I am able to get a good sudsing out of it.

The conditioner is wonderful, and very rich. I find, however, that the conditioner needs a good shaking before I flip open the cap, or else it tends to be a bit runny.

As for it's promises of waves and volume? Volume, yes, waves, maybe. As I mentioned, my hair is quite thick, but this shampoo does perk up the roots a bit, making my hair look fuller. If I let my hair dry naturally, it is normally neither straight or wavy, but instead it just exists, not knowing in what direction to go. This shampoo and conditioner definitely add to the waves, but not in any attractive fashion as it still looks crazy! If I want to get more organized (probably not the right word for it) waves, I bet I would have to invest in one of the texturizing sprays that can hold waves better.

I haven't tried these products with a blowout or a flat iron yet, but I've read that texturizing shampoos do better with styling tools because they help hold the style. We shall see.

And yes, my mom does like Not Your Mother's Beach Babe shampoo and conditioner. She really likes the coconut scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...