Sunday, February 18, 2018

January Play! by Sephora: My Very First

My mother surprised me with a subscription to Play! by Sephora for Christmas this year, and I am so grateful. I've already been a longtime subscriber to Ipsy and Birchbox, but Sephora's popular subscription box seems so posh and exciting.

January Play! by Sephora: My Very First - CKellyBlush

I received my first box at the end of January. I wish the boxes shipped sooner like Ipsy and Birchbox, but it at least gives me something to look forward to throughout the month. It included six skin, hair, and beauty samples, and all came in an incredibly cute drawstring bag with a "New Year, New You" type theme.

Also in the bag was a flyer describing each product and how to use it, which is pretty standard with subscription boxes. However, on the flip side of the flyer was a twelve month "challenge" calendar that gave a new idea for each month designed to improve one's beauty and spirit. January's challenge was to calculate the amount of water to drink every day, and February's challenge is to try a new, bright lip color.

I'm a beauty lover on a tight budget, so many Sephora brands are beyond my reach. What I'm looking forward to most with this subscription is being able to try more luxury brands that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

One such brand is Make Up For Ever, where most of the brand is out of my price range. However, in the January Play!, there was a blush sample in the shade B302. This very flattering peach shade can also be used as an eyeshadow, and I love that the sample is the perfect size for travel (like most items in the bag).

GLAMGLOW is another brand that I've rarely had the pleasure of trying because of the price tag, but I received a sample of the GLAMGLOW SUPERCLEANSE Clearing Cream-To-Foam Cleanser. I always hear fantastic things about GLAMGLOW, especially its flagship SUPERMUD mask (which I'd love to try!), and I'm looking forward to testing out this cleanser. I'm always on the market for skincare items, since my skin is something that I struggle with, so this could be promising.

Another luxury brand I've enjoyed trying is Perricone MD and its Hydrating Cloud Cream. This moisturizer has a very interesting, light texture not found in other lotions, however it is a pretty typical hydrating lotion.

Clinique has been a trusted brand in my house forever, as it was my grandmother's HG brand (and she was a stylish lady). My very first makeup was the free gifts my grandmother would give to me from Macy's when she would stock up on her beloved Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+. In January's Play! box, I received Clinique's Pep Start Eye Cream which moisturizes and brightens the under-eye area. I haven't been sleeping well lately, and I'm getting older, so any sort of eye cream is a welcome addition to my routine. I love this eye cream, and I wish I had gotten a bigger tube! I may have to take a page out of my grandmother's book and start looking to Clinique for my skincare.

Smashbox has come out with so many different takes on primer, from traditional primers to waters and oils. Recently they released Primerizer which is a combination moisturizer and primer, a concept I've wondered for years why the beauty industry hadn't made! My skin has been so dry this winter, I think I'm going to like this concept very much.

The last sample was MOROCCANOIL shampoo and conditioner. I have received a sample of this brand's hand lotion in a previous subscription box and enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to trying their shampoo and conditioner. My only complaint is the foil packet! Do foil packets annoy anyone else, or just me?!

Overall, I was impressed with the January Play! by Sephora box, and I just got my notification email that my February box has shipped! Let the anticipation begin.

What's your favorite subscription box service? Comment below, and be sure to like my page on Facebook to keep up with my shenanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...