Friday, April 18, 2014

I'm 30... With Acne???

It has to be some sort of cruel joke, I thought to myself each morning when I woke up and found yet another blemish on my face. After all, I did my time already, suffering with this plague when I was a teenager. For a few blissful years in my twenties, I was free of these bulbous bastards. But as I entered my late twenties, and ultimately (gulp) thirty, they reappeared with a vengeance.

I am not talking about a pimple here and there, sporadic and manageable. I am referring to the giant, embarrassing kind that left my face a noticeable mess. Scars and scabs added to my despair, and nothing I tried seemed to work.

Every over-the-counter remedy was useless, Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid had failed me. I tried home remedies to no avail. I hated my current dermatologist and foolishly refused to admit defeat and make an appointment. I stubbornly believed I could fix my acne problem myself, without shelling out the co-pay at the dermatologist.

The closest I came to reducing my acne was when a Sephora worker recommended the sulfur based Blemish Banisher Kit by Kate Somerville. This system was not cheap (about $55), but again, I was stubborn and I had never tried any sulfur products. The set came with trial sizes of her most famous products, as well as a full sized sulfur spot treatment called EradiKate. It looked like a science experiment, but I was willing to try it. Leaving the sulfur solution on the latest blemishes overnight, it definitely helped to dry them out and shrink them a bit, but the kit overall did not help prevent or alleviate my acne. $55 down the drain.

My acne got so bad, and my confidence so low, that I had to finally go to the dermatologist. I was at the point where I was so self-conscious that I thought everyone was focusing on my face and not me. It was as if my acne was all there was, like a giant red flag. I had been so stupid, trying to avoid the doctor for so long. So I found a new dermatologist, and made the dreaded appointment. After much trial and error, she finally got my acne under control with a combo routine that included the MIRACLE that is Retin-A Micro. Although it can be very drying if you're not careful to moisturize every single day and night, it really has helped to lessen my acne and to fade the old scars. I still get breakouts, but they aren't nearly as bad and can usually be covered up decently with makeup (I'm still looking for the perfect concealer that won't end up dry and cakey at the end of the day, comment with suggestions!).

The moral of my story is that I shouldn't have hesitated to go to the dermatologist. I realize that now. But one good thing from my saga with acne is that it got me started in this amazing world of makeup, because out of necessity to cover up the hideousness that was my acne, I began this quest to find my favorite brands and personal style.

My usual routine:
Morning- Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser, Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30 Moisturizing Lotion
Night- Bare Minerals Deep Cleansing Foam, Retin-A Micro, First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...