Saturday, April 4, 2015

Birchbox v. Ipsy: March 2015

A bit late for this post considering it's already April, but hey, life can get a bit nutty. Two subscription boxes enter the ring: Birchbox in one corner, ipsy in the other... Only one can leave the victor! Who will it be this month??


Birchbox v. Ipsy: March 2015 - CKellyBlush


-March 2015-


Birchbox: The design of this months box is gorgeous. I love the contrasting patterns and the color choices. This month's theme was creativity, and I think the box design reflected that well.



There wasn't a "wow" item like February's Beautyblender, but there were still some good items in this month's box. My top product was the Party Proof lipstick from ModelCo. The shade was a neutral mauve color, which is right up my alley. It promises to stay put throughout the party, but I haven't put its longevity to the test. The color, however, is creamy, flattering, and also pigmented.

I kind of wish Birchbox would stop sending me skincare samples as I'm always afraid to use them, but I took a chance with the Evologie Intensive Blemish Serum. I used this in the morning as a spot treatment on existing blemishes, and also on acne scars since it promised to help with hyperpigmentation and scarring, but saw no difference in my skin. It also smelled heavily of menthol. Honestly, after a few days I just plum forgot to keep using it because I was so unimpressed.

I've received haircare samples from Beauty Protector in the past that I've loved, but the Protect & Oil in March's box is a mystery to me. The tiny glass bottle feels too delicate to handle because I'm afraid I'm going to drop it on the tile floor of the bathroom. I haven't tried this yet because I'm not even sure how to use it. The full size bottle is plastic and comes with a pump, so how do I apply the oil out of this little vile? I'm afraid it's going to get messy since I'm a klutz.

While I generally dislike the Birchbox skincare samples, I enjoy the occasional hand cream. This month I received Elite Therapeutics Rosemary Eucalyptus Body Creme. I am seriously in love with the scent of this lotion. It is fresh, clean, and relaxing. I use it before bed and just breathe deeply to let it fill my senses.

Highlighters must be a trend since I keep getting samples over and over. This month's is Jelly Pong Pong Glow Getter. At first I thought this was nail polish, but on closer inspection, I realized that it's a highlighter similar to Benefit's High Beam where it's the same nail polish brush applicator. Jelly Pong Pong's version is more thick and gel-like than Benefit's, but the color looks so similar. I love a good highlighter, so I was happy with this sample.



Ipsy: Nothing screams spring like the design of March's ipsy bag. The floral pattern is so lovely and energetic.

The Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Creme Oil stood out to me first because the sample is such a generous size. I don't blow-dry my hair often because, well, I'm lazy. I haven't tried this yet, but I am looking forward to it!

Again, not a huge fan of skincare samples, but I received Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Anti-Aging Mattifying Lotion (that's a mouthful). I haven't tried this yet either, but I haven't had much luck with Dr. Brandt products and may be passing this on.

As you can tell from the photo above, I haven't even taken the plastic seal off of the Marsk Mineral Eyeshadow. I received the color Lucky Penny, which is a deep copper shade. It's very sparkly and dark, so I'm saving this for a night out look.

The best value in my Glam Bag was the full-size NYX Butter Lipstick. I already know I love Butter Lipstick (see my review here). However, I don't like the color I received. I got Little Susie, which is a very hot pink color, and I'm jealous of those who got Hunk, which is a beautiful dark purple. I'm not sure I'm able to pull off such a magenta pink with my fair skin. It's a summery shade, so I'll try it when the weather (finally) gets hot.

The most interesting item in my Glam Bag was the Chella Highlighter in Ivory Lace. I've never seen a highlighter in pencil form, so I picked it up and unwrapped it right away. It looks like a beige lipliner and has a similar texture. I went on YouTube to find tutorials, and discovered that this little pencil is far more versatile than just a highlighter. It can be used as concealer, a nude eyeliner (especially in the waterline), a lipliner, and more. This is a great little gem and I'm happy that I'm getting to try it.

And the winner this month is... BIRCHBOX! While both subscriptions were a little bland this month, just by sheer numbers I was happier with more items in Birchbox than ipsy. I loved the ModelCo lipstick more than the poor shade choice of the NYX Butter Lipstick. The Jelly Pong Pong Highlighter is a great product. I'm completely obsessed with the scent of the Elite Therapeutics lotion. Point goes to Birchbox.

2-0 Birchbox so far, ipsy better step up its game in April! 

What'd you get in your March subscription boxes? Who won?

If you'd like to subscribe to either Birchbox or ipsy, feel free to use my referral links below:
Birchbox
ipsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...