Sunday, September 6, 2015

Update! Austerity August No-Buy- The Results

Well, folks, I did it. I survived the month of August without buying any new makeup. I resisted in the drugstore, I avoided Ulta, and I deleted the tempting sale emails from all my favorite brands (and there were some good sales). And as I emerge victorious in September, I wanted to tell you all how it went.


Update! Austerity August No-Buy- The Results - CKellyBlush

First off, it was tough! I admit I may have a slight addiction to buying makeup, as well as a major addiction to Diet Coke, but who doesn't have their vices? My retail therapy doesn't hurt anyone, and I only buy what I plan to use and try to get the best deals possible at all times. If I do buy frivolously, I also do it frugally and keep it to drugstore brands with coupons. When life gets a little rough, thinking about buying makeup gives me something to look forward to.


Forcing myself into a no-buy, however, allowed me to look at what I was doing in a different light. It made me realize how often I thought about buying new makeup, which was a lot! In the past, whenever I went long stretches without buying new goodies, it was more because I didn't have the opportunity. If I was busy at work, I didn't really notice not buying any makeup. But during my Austerity August, I had plenty of opportunity, and definitely had the desire and I'd go so far to say that I felt, at least on some level, a type of withdrawal. Dealing with that feeling made me feel so proud at the end of each day that I had made it through without caving.

Second, I saved some real money. In an average month, I usually make two trips to Ulta, and several trips to my local drugstores (not just for makeup, but the makeup just seems to hop into my basket!). After a trip to Ulta, my damages run me about $30. When I stop by drugstores, I'd say spend $25 on cosmetics a month. So with two trips to Ulta and $25 at drugstores, I spend at least $85 a month on makeup (and when there's a sale or it's the holidays that number goes way up). August was a tight month for me, and having that extra $85 in my account was nice.

Third, I was able to take some time and organize my makeup. You may remember my makeup mess that started me down the no-buy path in the first place.


Update! Austerity August No-Buy- The Results - CKellyBlush

Well, take a look at it now!

Update! Austerity August No-Buy- The Results - CKellyBlush

Not too shabby, right? I have each drawer organized by category: base, blush/bronzers, lips, eyes, lotions, samples. Off stage I have two giant cosmetics bags that contain my unopened items that are waiting in the wings. There's still some work to be done, but I think these drawers are really working for me. If you'd like a tour, let me know in the comments below.

All in all, I am so proud that I accomplished my no-buy. So many of my friends were like "yea right, you'll never make it." In their faces! Austerity August, I think you may become a yearly tradition. If you'd like to see my original post about Austerity August, take a look here.

Anyone else just make it through or about to start a no-buy? Tell me about it!!

5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading this. I love your style of writing! I don't spend as much as you do on makeup monthly, but when I splurge, I do it well! I'm off to selfridges on Tuesday to get my fix of Charlotte Tilbury and can only imagine how much I will spend. I'm also saving for a Sephora haul in Barcelona in a couple of weeks!xx

    Laura | Lala London: Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my day! Your kind words about my writing really makes me feel so good, thank you so much. I'd love to hear about your upcoming hauls!
      Thanks again! <3

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! No-Buys can be really tough, and it's great to see how successful you were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea and well done for sticking to it! I might have to try the idea myself, will definitely save some money!

    xoxo
    Shula

    www.fun-fashion-and-things.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to go on a no-buy because my makeup collection is out of control. I was just pulling out fall lipsticks and realised I even had two of the same colour from the drugstore. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure how long I should go for though, maybe 2-3 months or until my foundation runs out and I need a new one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...