Sunday, August 9, 2015

Austerity August: My No-Buy Goal

Hello my beauties! Have you heard of a No-Buy period? I sure have, and the words are usually terrifying to my shopaholic ears! However, I recently organized my makeup collection (yet again), and the size of it made me proud, but also made me realize I should probably take a break from adding to it for a while. Not only will it help ease some pain on my storage capacity, but it will also help ease some pain on my wallet!

Austerity August: My No-Buy Goal - CKellyBlush

This is going to be hard, I'm not going to lie. I love buying makeup! We all need a bit of retail therapy sometimes, and for me, buying makeup is the best kind. There's something magical about the possibilities that a new, unopened product provides. It's kind of like the thrill I get from a blank sheet of paper, full of untapped potential. Maybe this is the product that puts all others to shame, I think every time, maybe this will be my holy grail of makeup.


However, no matter how much I love buying and trying makeup, there's definitely truth to the "too much of a good thing" adage. As I sat in my living room last week organizing, with all of my makeup strewn around me, I realized that I practically have my own small beauty supply store. Here's just a part of my collection during the clean up:

Austerity August: My No-Buy Goal - CKellyBlush

Quite the beautiful mess! I had no place to sit because it took up the entire couch. Rest assured, I use all of these beauty items at some point in my rotation, as my routine changes daily based on how I am feeling. I'm also one of those weirdos who keeps their makeup in the original boxes (I love cute packaging!). All of these products are well loved, but I realized that I am way overdue for a "shop your stash" period.

At work, my boss puts a lot of emphasis on setting big personal goals for yourself and working to achieve them. So I think that a no-buy for the rest of the month would be a difficult challenge, but a worthy goal to accomplish. I've broken the challenge down to the following rules:

1) For the remainder of August, now known as Austerity August, I will not spend any money on unnecessary beauty products. The definition of unnecessary would be any item that is not rebuying an empty product that I use regularly (i.e. face wash, shampoo, etc).

2) Using a gift card does not count. I have one $15 Ulta gift card that I reserve the right to use if I deem it necessary.

3) I will post at least once a week with a progress update so that I am accountable to you all, my lovely readers.

4) I will make a conscious effort to shop my stash and use the products I already own.

If you'd like to follow along and do a beauty no-buy of your own, let me know about it! I'll be tweeting and instagramming all month with the hashtag #AusterityAugust, follow me using the buttons on the right and join the chat!

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...