Sunday, July 24, 2016

My Concealer Routine

Hello, lovelies! Concealer is an incredibly important part of my makeup routine each morning. Not only do I suffer from acne, but I have dark circles under my eyes. What a wonderful combination! Foundation doesn't always do the trick, so that's where my hero, concealer, comes in to play.

My Concealer Routine - CKellyBlush


The type of foundation I wear on a particular day really determines how I do my concealer. If I am wearing liquid foundation, I will follow my routine with concealer over the foundation. If I'm wearing powder foundation, I put my concealer on first since my concealer is a cream. Lately, I've been wearing powder foundation (in particular the Neutrogena SkinClearing Mineral Powder, see my review here), so this routine follows my powder procedure.


First, my holy grail of under-eye concealers is the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser in Brightening. Not only does this creamy, peachy/salmon colored formula cover up the blue underneath my eyes, but it also depuffs the area which is also a huge problem for me. The color also serves to brighten up the eye area even on my incredibly pale skin, making me look more awake and rested.

Once my face is primed and dry, I use my Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser to draw two "V"shapes underneath my eyes. Most gurus will tell you to draw two filled in triangles, but lately I've felt that the triangle puts too much product on my skin, making it hard to blend and ultimately causing it to cake up. The "V" shape has served me much better and eliminates any bunching of the product under my eyes. I don't blend it in right away, I let the concealer sit for a few minutes on my skin as I feel it helps to sink in a bit better.

While my under-eye concealer is sitting, I crack open my current favorite traditional concealer. The Maybelline FitMe concealer is a no-frills, dependable concealer that is not only affordable but also really effective. I've bounced around from concealer to concealer, both high end and drugstore, but I've yet to find one as good for my needs as the Maybelline FitMe concealer.

The doe foot applicator on the FitMe concealer makes it incredibly easy to apply, but I find that it usually grabs too much product. Less is more with this formula, so I usually flip the wand around and use the flat side to apply the concealer since it has less product. As I need more, I just keep turning the wand slightly to use the product gathered on the other side. This helps me not have to repeatedly pumping the wand into the tube for product.

Once all my spots are covered, again I don't blend it right away. Instead I go back to the under eye concealer and use my ring finger to gently bounce and pat the concealer into my skin. If you use your finger instead of a brush or sponge, always use your ring finger because it's generally your weakest finger, so it's ideal for the gentle touch you need to blend. After that's blended in, then I go to the rest of my face and pat in all the rest of the concealer. I find that if you let the concealers sit just a few moments, they are much easier to work with and blend better.

When all my concealer is blended in, I use my powder foundation and buff that all over the face. I always have to be super careful when I hit areas that I've concealed, because I don't want to end up brushing away all my hard work. Usually I will just use my kabuki brush and gently pat the foundation onto areas with concealer as opposed to buffing. Patting the foundation over concealed areas not only helps to prevent wiping away concealer, but it also adds a bit more coverage. Just try to use less foundation on the brush or else it might end up looking cakey.

If I need extra coverage, I will take a concealer brush and use my foundation as a concealer "booster" and put it right over the areas that need some TLC.

This routine has helped me cover up my acne and dark circles, and it can pretty much be replicated with any concealer products of your choice.

What's your concealer routine? Let me know in the comments below! Also, be sure to follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and BlogLovin to keep in touch!

4 comments:

  1. I wish Maybelline did light enough shades of both these concealers as I keep hearing such good things about them. Maybe one day, my concealer routine needs a bit of a shake up and I think you've given me a couple of ideas how to change it!

    Beth xx | MissCosmeticBlogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pale as well, and in the FitMe concealer I use Fair and it matches me really well. If you're looking for really pale concealers, the palest one I can think of is the Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer in Ultra Light (I think that's the shade). I'm pale but that shade is even paler than I am. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh lovely! I found the Maybelline concealer nice and radiant but again, just not light enough. I'm willing to give it another go though!

    corrie | corriearnold.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried the maybelline fit me concealer but i do love the age rewind concealer for brightening things up!

    Vicky | Vixella Beauty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...