Saturday, January 3, 2015

How To Winter-Proof Your Makeup

As the winter cold sets in, our makeup faces challenges not experienced in any other season. The pelting of snow, the rubbing of scarves, the dryness of the chilly air; they all work against us in our pursuit of the flawless look. But here are some tips to keep your makeup in check until spring has sprung!

How To Winter-Proof Your Makeup - CKellyBlush



1) Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!

If anyone out there is a Doctor Who fan, make Cassandra's mantra your own: "Moisturize me!" The key to makeup staying in place is a good base for it to stick to. In the winter, with the bite of cold air and the drying effects of indoor heating, skin is much more likely to dry out, causing problems for makeup application and wear. Consider investing in a super hydrating facial moisturizer such as First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. Or, my favorite drugstore alternative is Eucerin Calming Creme Daily Moisturizer. But keep in mind that whatever moisturizer you get, make sure it is non-comedogenic or it will clog your pores and just create even more problems! If you have oily skin, moisturizing is still important so look for lotions that are designed for oily skin. 

In addition to topical moisturizers, remember to hydrate from the inside out as well. Drink plenty of water, and you'll notice that it will help the appearance of your skin as well as prevent dryness. You may also want to consider a humidifier in the bedroom while you sleep to help replace the moisture in the air that indoor heat tends to eliminate.

2) Never Skip Primer and Setting Sprays


How To Winter-Proof Your Makeup - CKellyBlush

Primer is an essential part of my makeup routine. Not only does it transform my skin into a nice canvas for easier cosmetics application, but it helps lengthen the wear of my makeup. Imagine you're walking down the street and that January wind starts to pick up, feeling like icy cold whips against your face. Primer is going to help prevent your foundation from deteriorating due to the rough elements. Even better- look for a hydrating primer, such as Smashbox's option, and get some extra moisturizing power for your skin.

Setting sprays can sometimes get overlooked, but consider them an extra insurance policy for your makeup! During the winter, we have a lot more cozy accessories up around our face to help us keep warm. My biggest pet peeve is when I've worked so hard to get my makeup just right, only to have it wipe off around my jawline once I put a scarf on. A setting spray is going to help prevent makeup from rubbing away, and also help protect against the wind and snow. You don't have to break the bank with high end setting sprays. Several drugstore brands like NYX and L'Oreal now have great and affordable options. Nothing is going to protect your makeup 100% from the effects of scarves and hats, but setting your makeup will create at least one more barrier to protect it. I usually will spray a bit extra around my jaw and hairline.

3) Liquid Foundation Over Powder


How To Winter-Proof Your Makeup - CKellyBlush

Using powder foundation during the winter can tend to make your skin look dull and lifeless, and even exacerbate the look of dry skin. Honestly, other than bareMinerals Original loose powder which doesn't have those effects, I wouldn't even consider powder foundation in the winter. Instead of powder, grab your favorite liquid foundation for a more dewy and hydrated appearance. If you read my December Favorites, you know that I am really loving Rimmel Match Perfection right now. Not only does it provide a nice, rich finish, but it also has some light reflection qualities to it so my skin looks radiant and healthy. Even a good BB or CC Cream would provide that healthy look if you don't want the heaviness of foundation. I also find that for my skin, liquid foundation doesn't break down as easily as traditional powder foundation. Look for liquid foundations that contain skin-loving ingredients (vitamins, moisturizers, etc) for extra benefits.

4) Cream Blushes & Bronzers


How To Winter-Proof Your Makeup - CKellyBlush

Along the same reasoning of liquid foundation, consider switching to cream blushes and bronzers for the winter. Powder blush emphasizes dry skin, cream blush helps mask it and even provides a bit of moisture. I find that unlike their powder siblings, cream blushes provide that glowing, dewy look like I just came back from playing in the snow. Cream blush is also going to last longer against the elements than powder, as they absorb into the skin and don't wipe off as easily. If you've never used a cream blush before, I highly recommend Fine One One by Benefit because it is a "no brainer" type product. It has a bronzer, blush and highlighter all in one, and you literally just make one pass upwards on your cheek and pat it to blend it out. 

5) Waterproof Mascara


How To Winter-Proof Your Makeup - CKellyBlush

One day last winter, I was walking to the train station when it started to snow. It was the big, fluffy wet snow that kind of slaps you in the face. I didn't give it much thought, until later when I was on the train and took a quick look at myself in the window reflection. I gasped with horror as I realized I had giant raccoon eyes where my mascara had melted away. The snow that landed on my lashes caused my mascara to run and created black half-moons under each eye. Imagine football players with that black grease they put under their eyes; that was me. Lesson learned the hard way: wear waterproof mascara!

I wouldn't recommend wearing waterproof mascara every day, as it can damage your lashes. However, I know that when it is very cold, my eyes tend to water from the chill so waterproof mascara is a must for me on such days. Make sure you have a gentle eye makeup remover to take it off at night. If you know you're going to be walking outside or if there's snow or rain in the forecast, just keep my tale of woe in the back of your mind. 

6) Sunglasses

It may seem odd to wear sunglasses in winter, but really sunglasses should be worn year round. Not only do they protect your eyes from the damaging UV rays of the sun, but in the longterm sunglasses will help you look young! Yep, sunglasses are anti-aging! Whether it a bright winter day, or just the sun reflecting off of freshly fallen snow, if you're not wearing sunglasses you are going to squint. Squinting leads to crows feet and I know we all want to avoid those dreaded wrinkles! Sunglasses are an easy way to keep your delicate eye area wrinkle free a bit longer. So break out your favorite pair of sunglasses before you head out the door, and dream of summer fun in the sun. It can't hurt to wear sunscreen either!

I hope these tips keep you looking flawless during the winter! What are your tips & tricks for winter-proofing your makeup?

Remember, spring is just around the corner.

9 comments:

  1. Hey! Great post.. I will agree with you.. These are essential during winter 😊

    www.xorosiejanxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using bronzer is my fave! It gives you the extra glow you need in the winter.

    www.milimanicure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Bronzer is a must :)
      Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with using waterproof mascara. No one wants panda eyes when it starts to rain/snow :) great post x

    lipstickandmascaras.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, so true. I learned the panda eyes lesson the hard way hehe :)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Great post with some great tips, well done!

    Andrea x
    andrea-herinfinitevariety.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post! I already do all the things on this list except cream blushes, but I'm going to experiment with adding it to my routine!

    TazhiLuxe.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...