Monday, July 13, 2015

The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival


When I walk into a store looking for foundation, I usually joke with the sales clerk that my shade is "postmortem pale." That's how fair I am. I've heard all the jokes: you're a ghost, you're practically transparent, you make me look tanner, etc. The summer is probably the hardest, where all the people around me are soaking up the sun and their bronze skin practically radiates with a healthy glow. Meanwhile, I'm in the safety of the shade, or better yet indoors with the A/C at full! If you burn but never tan, if your only bronze coloring comes from your never-ending freckles, and if anything below SPF 50 is not worth buying, then stay tuned! With my Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival, you can protect your fair beauty but still get that gorgeous glow.

The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival - CKellyBlush

First, however, I want to say: it's okay to be pale in the summer! Think of it this way, your paleness makes you shine like a diamond in the rough. This guide is just to give some tips and tricks for getting through the hot summer months without burning that porcelain skin to a crisp!


Sunscreen, Sunscreen, Sunscreen!


The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival - CKellyBlush

In order to survive the summer, the first line of defense for the pale girl is SPF. I can't stress enough the importance of sunscreen. The sun creates harmful rays not only in summer, but throughout the year, making the regular use of sunscreen even more important. For us pale folks, sunscreen is key to keeping burns and freckles at bay. Personally, I like to make sure my daily facial moisturizer has broad spectrum SPF in it, plus if I know I am going to be out in the sun more than usual, I will top that with a bit of the sunscreen I use all over my body. 

If you're going to be out and about in the sun, make sure you slather sunscreen on two often overlooked parts of your body: your ears, and also in between your toes. Something I've learned the hard way, if you have any exposed scalp (such as a part in your hair), dab a bit of sunscreen there as well. One of the worst sunburns I've ever gotten was at my brother's high school graduation ceremony, where the top of my head was basically baking in the sun for two hours. Definitely not fun.

I'm not going to give suggestions on what type of sunscreen you should get, since there are a ton of different options out on the market. I will, however, say that I personally use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Broad Spectrum SPF 55. It really absorbs into the skin, is lightweight, and there's no sticky residue. It has rarely let me down.

For the pale gal, sunscreen is going to keep your complexion burn-free. No one wants to look like a tomato!

Multitasking Foundation


The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival - CKellyBlush

In addition to a facial moisturizer with sunscreen in it, try and find a foundation that includes some SPF to help keep your skin fair and even. Foundations have become so advanced in recent years that many include SPF and finding one you like won't be difficult. Not only will your skin thank you in twenty years when the SPF has kept longterm sun damage to a minimum, but it will thank you today when you can prevent burns and freckles on a daily basis. For summer, consider trying a lighter-weight BB or CC cream that includes an SPF. I've heard very good things about Rimmel's line of BB creams, but my favorite at the moment is It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50. I love that it has SPF 50, as it makes me confident that I'm not going to turn beet red by the end of the day. I also love bareMinerals Original Foundation which also includes SPF.

Protect Those Delicate Lips


The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival - CKellyBlush

Lips can get sunburned, too, and it is definitely an experience you want to avoid! Keep your lips safe (and soft) by applying lip balm with SPF. Don't worry, you can still put your favorite lipstick on over the lip balm! My current favorite is Chapstick Dual-Ended Hydration Lock, which includes SPF 12, which isn't a huge amount, but is definitely better than nothing at all. Check out my full review here.

Self-Tan Instead of Natural


The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival - CKellyBlush

As I mentioned, it's okay to be pale. But if you are longing for that elusive tan, consider trying a self-tanner instead of exposing your delicate skin to the harsh light of day. Again, there are a ton of different brands and options out in the world today, so you may want to experiment until you find a self-tanner you like best. If you're hesitant to commit to a self-tanner (or afraid of what you're going to look like afterwards!), my suggestion would be to pick up a travel size tube of Jergens Natural Glow or a similar lotion. Unlike traditional self-tanners, Jergens Natural Glow is a daily body moisturizer that includes a gradual tanning element. With each use, it deposits a bit more color into the skin providing a streak-free, buildable bronze. I will warn that some (meaning me) don't enjoy the scent as much as others, but instead of every day I apply it every other day, and the smell isn't as potent. If you buy the travel size, you can see if you like it before shelling out the big bucks for the full size tube.

Bronzer is Your Best Friend


The Pale Girl's Guide to Summer Survival - CKellyBlush

Bronzer is awesome, it's a tan without the commitment! Bronzer can warm up your look and give your face that sun-kissed glow you crave. Choose a matte bronzer if you're going for that back from the beach look, as bronzers with glitter aren't as convincing. A really popular bronzer choice is NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in the shade Sunny, and it's a fantastic value. It's a beautiful warm brown that when used correctly can make even the palest girl look like a bronzed goddess. 

Less is more with bronzer, just tap your brush gently into the pan when going for product, don't swirl! Use a light hand as you apply it to your face, and build it up as necessary. For your face, I like to apply it in the shape of a "3" on either side starting at the temple, bringing it down below the cheek bone, and then continuing down to the beneath the jawline. Try going a step further and bringing it down your neck and onto your décolletage.

These five tips and tricks will help even the fairest of the fair make it through summer in one piece. So grab those sunglasses, break out your floppiest of big floppy hats, and head to the beach!

Do you have any suggestions on surviving the summer months? Tell me in the comments!


3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you (and this coming from a girl who lives in the tropics). Yes, I used my bronzer but I don't tan or intentionally sit out in the sun (though some exposure can't be helped just due to the nature of the environment). Anyway, I've been wanting to try that It Cosmetics CC cream for ages!


    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such good things about the NYC sunny bronzer, I definitely need to pick it up myself sometime!

    Toni x
    www.clarkecouture.co.uk
    MAC LIPSTICK GIVEAWAY:
    http://www.clarkecouture.co.uk/2015/07/happy-1st-birthday-clarke-couture-my.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...